Roads Tasmania has advised to please be aware of temporary traffic changes at the Huon Highway / Sandfly Road intersection.
From Tuesday, 10 August 2021, traffic conditions at the intersection will change temporarily while Roads Tasmania continue building the new centre median.
The new intersection will start to work as intended, with vehicles turning around the centre median.
While the new arrangements may look complex, they will be straightforward as you drive through the site and signs will be in place to guide you. Please slow down, allow extra time and follow the directions. These changes will be in place until late 2021.
- If you are travelling between Hobart and Huonville, there will be no change, apart from a reduced speed limit.
- Vehicles coming from Sandfly and heading up the hill towards Huonville will enter the new dedicated acceleration lane.
- Traffic wanting to cross the Huon Highway and continue onto Sandfly Road (from either direction), will need to cross one lane of the highway into the open section of the turning lane, before turning around the new centre median and waiting safely before crossing the highway and entering Sandfly Road again.
- Traffic leaving Longley and heading towards Huonville will need to cross one lane of the highway, turn around the new centre median and wait safely until there is a gap in the traffic before turning up the hill towards Huonville.
- Traffic travelling from Sandfly to Hobart will exit Sandfly Road South, cross the single lane of traffic on the Huon Highway and enter the partially open turning lane, before turning around the new centre median and waiting safely until there is a gap in the traffic before entering the Huon Highway.
To keep everyone safe, the speed limit through the project site will be reduced to 40 km/hr during working hours, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, with occasional Saturday works.
Outside of working hours, the speed limit will be reduced to 60km/hr while road users become accustomed to the new layout.
For more information on this project visit:
Image: a diagram of temporary traffic arrangements at the Huon Highway/ Sandfly intersection.