Huon Valley Council (HVC) is a rural local government in Tasmania, covering most of the south of the state, with a multidisciplinary workforce of approximately 200 people across a wide range of professions including childcare, construction and maintenance, healthcare, recreation as well as a wide range of administrative, professional, and executive positions.
HVC is seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified recruitment consultants, with experience in recruiting for executive level positions, for the purpose of recruiting a General Manager.
The General Manager will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of HVC by providing exemplary leadership, fostering collaboration and a constructive culture, and driving innovation. The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall strategic direction, management, and administration of Council.
The scope of work for this project involves the end-to-end recruitment process for the position, including identifying and assessing potential candidates who meet the specified criteria and are a strong cultural fit for the organisation.
The Consultant will be required to:
- Design the selection processes and ensure the position description and selection criteria are tailored for the role;
- Implement processes to attract candidates and promote the position through their established networks and channels;
- Provide an outline of the advertising material proposed, and the information to be included in the ‘candidates information package’
- Offer advice on salary range, recruitment criteria, and skill testing;
- Screen all enquiries during the adverting period;
- Manage any conflicts of interest;
- Shortlist applicants and present to the recruitment panel along with a recommendation report;
- Prepare interview questions;
- Schedule interviews, prepare interview packs for Selection Panel Committee and meet with the Committee to run through the interview process;
- Undertake interviews in conjunction with the Selection Panel Committee;
- Undertake reference checks, assessments, and aptitude tests, as agreed with the Selection Panel Committee, of the preferred candidate;
- Negotiate contracts and working conditions with the preferred candidate;
- Prepare a Recruitment Report detailing the recommendation for appointment of the General Manager for Selection Panel Committee approval; and
- Keep a record of all written materials and discussions relevant to the recruitment process.
The Selection Panel Committee will consist of 9 Councillors, an external consultant appointed by Council, and the preferred Recruitment Consultant. The Selection Panel Committee will be required to approve all processes and documents mentioned above.
A draft timeline of the process is as follows:
|Date||Milestone / Description|
|20 October 2023||EOI’s closing date|
|25 October 2023||Council Meeting to determine the appointment of a Recruitment Consultant|
|30 October 2023||Selection Panel Committee to meet with the Consultant to finalise details relating to the recruitment process|
|4 November 2023||Position advertised|
|22 November 2023||Applications close|
|23-30 November 2023||Consultant undertakes review of the applications and identified the ‘long list’ for discussion with the Selection Panel Committee|
|8 December 2023||Interviews (1st round)|
|15 December 2023||Reference checks and aptitude tests completed|
|15 December 2023||2nd round interviews (if required)|
|15 December 2023||Recruitment Selection Report completed|
|20 December 2023||Council Meeting to decide on outcome of recruitment process|
EOI’s should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Service Description: A breakdown of the recruitment services you will provide, including specific strategies and tools you will use to address the listed requirements above;
- Fee Structure: A clear and itemised fee structure of services, including any associated costs;
- Timeline: The ability to match the proposed timeline or suggest a modified timeline that is comparable;
- Experience: Information about your agency’s experience in conducting similar executive-level recruitments; and
- References: Contact information for at least two client references who can speak to your agency’s performance.
Interested recruitment agencies are invited to submit their EOIs no later than 5pm on Friday, 20 October 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Methodology and approach to the requirements of the recruitment process
- Price competitiveness
- Experience and track record with similar positions, and
For further information, please contact Raelene Watson, Acting Director People and Corporate Services, on 03 6264 0300 or by emailing email@example.com.
Huon Valley Council looks forward to partnering with a recruitment agency that shares the same commitment to excellence and values in the recruitment of a General Manager.