The State Emergency Service (SES) has released new draft flood guides for different areas of the Huon Valley and is calling for community members to contribute local knowledge to the guides.
This will help inform the final response plans.
Approved by the Huon Valley Council, the draft guides include almost all populated areas and join the already-finalised flood plan for Geeveston.
The following guides are now open for public comment:
To comment on your local draft flood guide, email email@example.com
The draft guides will be open for public comment until Autumn, 2024.
While the SES has a lot of information about flooding around Huonville, there is less information available about the potential consequences of flooding in other areas of the catchment.
This includes for minor flooding events.
The draft guides include information on:
- Each area’s history of flooding
- The risk of future flooding
- What you need to know to prepare a Home Emergency Plan
- Evacuation advice
- Looking after your animals
- How to connect with others
- Understanding warnings and key information
- What to do if your property is damaged by flooding.
The guides will then be finalised and the flood plans reviewed every two years.
For more information: Community Protection Flood Guides – Tasmania State Emergency Service (ses.tas.gov.au)