Rates – Pensioner Remission Application

Pensioner Rates Remission Application

A rates remission is available to pensioners who are liable to pay the rates on the property they occupy as their principal place of residence as at 1 July of the financial year to which the rates relate, and who hold one of three types of cards issued by either Centrelink or DVA that has a ‘date of grant’ on or prior to 1 July of the year to which the rates rebate relates.

Card types

• Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)

• Health Care Card (HCC)

• Repatriation Health Card – ie ‘Gold Card’ endorsed Total or Permanent Injury (TPI) or War Widow/Widower DVA

The Local Government (Rates and Charges Remissions) Act 1991 defines the holder of any of these three card types to be an eligible pensioner for rates remission purposes.

An Australian Government Seniors Health Card does not qualify the holder for a rates remission.

Ratepayers who received a remission last financial year should automatically receive a remission this year. Please check this on your Annual Rate Notice which you will receive in July. The remission will be itemised as ‘Government Rebate’.

If you think you may be eligible for a Pensioner Rates Remission and you have not received a Government rebate on your annual rates notice, please contact us.

Please note: Eligibility of the pensioner remission is determined by the state government’s Department of Treasury and Finance.


Complete the online form below

or an application for the Pension Rates Remission can be made at Council’s Customer Service Centre, 40 Main Street, Huonville.

Please Note: If you don’t receive a confirmation within 48 hours, please call Customer Service on 03 6264 0300.

  • Complete the form below:

  • Your Property ID can be found on your rates notice in the Property Valuation Detail section.
  • The Card Start Date appears on the front of your concession card
    DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Accepted file types: jpg, png, pdf, tiff, Max. file size: 10 MB.
  • Authorisation and Consent

    I authorise:

    The Huon Valley Council and the Department of Treasury and Finance (Treasury) to use Centrelink Confirmation eServices to perform a Centrelink/DVA enquiry of my Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs customer details and concession card status to enable the Council and Treasury to determine if I qualify for a concession, rebate or service.

    Services Australia (the agency) to provide the results of that enquiry to the Council and Treasury.

    I understand that:

    The agency will disclose personal information to the Council and Treasury including my name/address/payment type/payment status and concession card type and status to confirm my eligibility for a rates remission;

    This consent, once signed, remains valid while I am a customer of Council unless I withdraw it by contacting the Council or the agency. I can get proof of my circumstances/details from the agency and provide it to Council and Treasury so my eligibility for a rates remission can be determined;

    If I withdraw my consent or do not alternatively provide proof of my circumstances/details, I may not be eligible for the rates remission provided by the Council and Treasury.

  • DD slash MM slash YYYY