RATES AND CHARGES 2023/2024
Huon Valley Council use property’s Capital Value as the basis for rates calculations. The Office of the Valuer-General has determined values for all properties within the municipal area effective from this rating period and the Capital Value (CV) will be used for the 2023/2024 rates calculation.
Huon Valley Council levies a General Rate of 0.27104 cents in the dollar of the CV on all properties in the municipal area, except where land is exempt under Section 87 of the Local Government Act 1993 (Act).
Under section 90(4) of the Act, Council has set a minimum General Rate payment of $469.00
Under section 107 of the Act the rate varies as follows;
- Land predominantly used for Commercial purposes the general rate is 0.4480 cents in the dollar of the CV.
- Land predominantly used for Industrial purposes the general rate is 0.3696 cents in the dollar of the CV.
FIRE SERVICE ACT 1979 CONTRIBUTIONS
The State Fire Service Rate is levied on behalf of the Tasmanian Government to contribute toward funding the Tasmania Fire Service. There are two categories, depending on whether or not the area is serviced by a Volunteer Fire Brigade:
General Land Fire District
- The General Land Fire District Rate is 0.01120 cents in the dollar of the CV, and is applied to all rateable land in the General Land Fire District (which excludes all land contained within the Volunteer Brigade Rating Districts). The minimum amount payable is $48.00.
Volunteer Brigade Fire Rate
- The Volunteer Brigade Fire Rate is 0.01310 cents in the dollar of the CV on all rateable land in the Cygnet, Dover, Franklin, Geeveston and Huonville Volunteer Brigade Rating Districts. The minimum amount payable is $48.00.
SERVICE RATES AND CHARGES
Stormwater Removal Charge
Council applies a stormwater removal charge of $140.00 for each separate tenement on all rateable land for which a stormwater service is provided.
Waste Management – Kerbside Collection Charges
Council applies a service charge for kerbside collection of rubbish and recycling, on all rateable land where the service is offered.
The charge varies according to the contents and size of the bin being collected:
- $225.00 for each 120 litre mobile garbage bin
- $345.00 for each 240 litre mobile garbage bin
- $128.00 for each mobile recycling bin
Under Section 129 of the Act, a rates remission is granted to rateable land that has been covenanted for conservation in perpetuity under either the Private Forest Reserves Program or the Protected Areas on Private Land Program.
The remission is $5.00 per hectare, with a minimum remission per rateable property of $155.00 and a maximum remission per rateable property of $500.00 – provided that the minimum general rate will not be less than $314.00 per rateable property.
Lessees and licencees who hold leases and licences from the Crown in relation to jetties/slipways and boatsheds so that the total general rate applicable do not exceed $155.00. Fire service contributions and service charges where applicable are to be levied.
All rates and charges are payable by four instalments which are due on the following dates:
- 15 August 2023
- 31 October 2023
- 31 January 2024
- 30 April 2024
DEFAULT IN PAYMENT OF RATES INSTALMENT
If a ratepayer fails to pay any instalment within twenty one (21) days of the date on which the rates are due, the Council may require the ratepayer to pay the full amount owing, under Section 124(5) of the Act.
If any amount of rates or charges, or an instalment, remains unpaid after the date on which they fall due, the Council will impose a penalty of 3% of the outstanding amount, and charge interest of 9.85% per annum, calculated daily. A remission of penalty or interest that may be applied under this clause may be granted to any ratepayer who has entered into, and complies with, alternative and flexible payment arrangements or has an approved rate payment deferral under the Council’s Financial Hardship and Payment Assistance Policy.
A copy of the Council’s rates resolution is available online here or by inspection at the Council’s Customer Service Centre, 40 Main Street, Huonville.