In 2018, the community created a vision in which the Huon Valley is “A vibrant community in which arts and culture is an expression of place, story and people that is unique to the Huon Valley’.
This vision acknowledges that Arts and Culture incorporates:
- Heritage – structures, places, history, language and stories.
- Art practices including but not restricted to visual arts, multi-media, music, performance, writing, digital, dance, festivals, events, and
- All creative endeavours that have creative, economic, social, cultural or community benefits and outcomes.
Huon Valley Council is committed to supporting a strong creative sector and engaging with and connecting with creative products, services and experiences.
Huon Valley Council’s Arts and Culture Officer
T: 03 6264 0300
Street Address: 40 Main Street, Huonville
Postal Address: PO Box 210, Huonville TAS 7109
In 2018 Huon Valley Council engaged Kylie Eastley Consultancy and PDF Consultants to undertake consultation with the Huon Valley Council, community and stakeholders to produce an Arts and Heritage Strategy 2018-2022.
The consultation process included face-to-face interviews and structured workshops with
- Provides a key document to inform Council decision making in relation to arts and culture
- Communicates Council’s long-term direction to the community and other stakeholders
- Guides the community and relevant stakeholders wishing to deliver arts and cultural activities in the valley
- Serve as the basis for annual operation and work plans.
This Strategy will be used to inform the work of the community, the Arts and Culture Committee and the Huon Valley Council. The strategy has been designed with flexibility to accommodate the changing needs and dynamics of the Huon Valley community within the broader art and cultural context.
This Strategy has been developed with input from the community through a range of engagement workshops, interviews and public comment.
The Huon Valley Arts and Culture Committee:
- Creates a consultative link between the community and the Huon Valley Council by providing a mechanism for feedback and promoting communication on arts, culture and heritage activities including Council’s major events and festivals,
- Identifies funding opportunities for relevant arts and cultural projects and events, and to contribute to submissions,
- Actions, where appropriate, Arts and Culture issues of importance and priority to the community, and
- Collaboratively identifies and implements measures to enhance the arts and culture of the Huon Valley community, supporting the Huon Valley Arts and Culture Strategy.
The Committee will work with the Huon Valley Council, stakeholders and the wider community to:
- Support the implementation of the Arts and Culture Strategy,
- Act as a consultative link between the community and the Huon Valley Council by providing a mechanism for feedback and promoting communication,
- Assist in identifying and responding to key issues relating to arts, culture and heritage in the Huon Valley,
- Support Council with advocacy on and promotion of relevant arts and cultural matters, and
- Strengthen partnerships across sectors and other relevant networks and organisations.
Councillor Christine Campbell (Chair)
Dr L.J. Owen
The Huon Valley Arts Network was established in 2019 as a means to connect artists and makers in the Huon Valley.
The network shares information and promotes opportunities for creative industries and arts related issues in the Huon Valley.
Council hosts regular networking and development sessions which have included:
- Turning your Practice into a Sustainable Business with Suzi Watral
- An Introduction to Social Media with Millie Walker
- Search Engine Basics with Millie Walker
- Arts Funding with Australia Council, Arts Tasmanian and Regional Arts Network of Tasmania.
- Connecting Communities through Creativity with Simon Spain
- Six Steps to Creating a Successful Art Business with Hannah Blackmore
Please contact us to join our mailing list and to hear about our next professional development and networking session.
The Huon Valley is fortunate that many creative Artists and Makers call it home.
We love to feature local creatives and encourage you to follow their links to learn more about their practice and products.
If you are interested in being listed, please complete the Application form and submit it to Council’s Arts and Culture Officer via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit CREATIVE HUON for more information
ARTBOX is a travelling exhibition space, promoting professional and emerging artists and makers and supporting community arts and culture projects in the Huon Valley.
Whilst providing a professional exhibition space, ARTBOX also provides opportunities for regional and remote communities in the Huon Valley to experience and engage with arts and culture.
Visit ARTBOX for more information
Each year the Huon Art Exhibition Group (HAEG) runs the annual “Huon Art Awards” in the Cygnet Town Hall, starting on the first Friday of March every year.
The Huon Valley Mayor presents the Mayor’s Choice Award to a local artist.
Each of the winning entries are proudly held in the Council’s art collection.
Visit our COLLECTION for more information.
Our local directory can help you to find and connect with local Huon Valley Arts and Culture businesses and experiences.
Visit the Local Directory website to check it out.