Register your dog/s
To help keep dogs safe, dog owners are required by law to register their dogs with their local council when the dog is six months of age.
There are many good reasons and benefits to registering your dogs and it’s a requirement of the Dog Control Act 2000.
If you’d like to register more than two dogs you’ll need to apply for a Licence to Keep Dogs.
Before you start
- Dogs must be microchipped.
To complete this you’ll need to:
- provide your dog’s details like: name, gender, breed, colour/markings, date of birth (if exact date not known, please provide an approximate date)
- attach certificates of microchipping and desexing
- provide details of the dog owner
- provide pension information to get the fee discount
- pay registration fees by credit card.
Online dog registration is only available for:
- Sterilised Dogs
- The 1st dog owned by a Pensioner
- Working dogs
For all other registration types, please see other ways to register below.
(NEW dog registrations not renewals)
On completion of the online registration for your dog/s, you will receive a tax invoice receipt email and we will post out your dog registration tag/s.
Other ways to register
Download our dog registration form, complete it and return it with required documentation and the registration fee to:
- Post: Huon Valley Council, PO Box 210 HUONVILLE TAS 7109
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – The completed registration form and required documentation. Our staff will contact you to arrange payment of the registration fee.
Once processed you will be provided with a receipt and registration tag/s for your dog/s. or
- I have changed address
- I have moved out of the Huon Valley municipal area
- My dog has passed away
- I am no longer the owner of the dog
Other important information
A detailed map to dog exercise areas and other facilities can be found here
Information to common questions can be found in information for dog owners