The Council is responsible for statutory and strategic land use and development, including the assessment of applications for use and development on land and under the Huon Valley Interim Planning Scheme 2015, and assessment of planning scheme amendments, subdivisions and strata schemes.

You can view current advertised planning applications on our live map.

Planning and building approvals

Planning approval and building approval are two separate processes.

Often a particular use or development of land may require approvals under both processes (which requires two applications).

A Special Plumbing Permit may also be required for on-site wastewater disposal or septic tank.

Building work or Land Use

You may need a planning permit if you intend to:

  • Undertake building works;
  • make alterations to a building;
  • change the use of a building (such as from a house to a bed & breakfast);
  • undertake land clearing;
  • excavate land or place fill;
  • erect signage; or
  • make other modifications to a building or land.

You may also need a Building application permit.

Customer satisfaction survey

Help us continue to improve our planning approval process by taking our customer satisfaction survey.

This survey focuses on the Council’s planning approval process and does not cover other approval processes undertaken by the Council, such as building and plumbing.

The survey will remain strictly confidential and personal details will not be publicly disclosed. The survey data will be used to determine where Council processes have worked effectively where improvements can be made.

Further information

Fees and Charges