Council has identified a need to develop a Climate Change Strategy and on 31 July 2019 endorsed a project plan for delivery of the project during the 2019/20 financial year.
The scope of the project includes two main areas:
- Sphere of control: Council operations
- Sphere of influence: Advocacy and education (non-Council operations)
The objectives of the project are:
- Develop a Climate Change Strategy for the Huon Valley Council
- Conduct a values-driven consultation process to identify the underlying issues that matter to the community in relation to climate change, and how best to address them
- Undertake consultation with the community on climate change and the draft strategy
- Maximise efficiency and strategy quality by integrating with the Regional Climate Change Initiative (RCCI) Strategy and Action Plan Template project
- Consider available information, expert/academic advice and previous studies to identify the most appropriate actions
Development is currently underway in accordance with the project brief.
Community engagement will be occurring throughout the development of the strategy across a range of methods including:
- Community values-based consultation/survey
- Community consultative group input (Terms of Reference can be found here)
- A community forum
- Public review and feedback period on the draft strategy
Check back here for updates.