The Council is responsible for statutory and strategic land use and development, including the assessment of applications for use and development on land and under the Huon Valley Interim Planning Scheme 2015, and assessment of planning scheme amendments, subdivisions and strata schemes.
You can view current advertised planning applications on our live map.
Planning approval and building approval are two separate processes.
Often a particular use or development of land may require approvals under both processes (which requires two applications).
You may need a planning permit if you intend to:
- Undertake building works;
- make alterations to a building;
- change the use of a building (such as from a house to a bed & breakfast);
- undertake land clearing;
- excavate land or place fill;
- erect signage; or
- make other modifications to a building or land.
You may also need a Building application permit.