The Huon Valley Council is committed to working with the community towards wellness for all people in the Huon Valley.
Our Health and Wellbeing Strategy supports positive change in health and wellbeing in the Huon Valley. It applies the best knowledge, ideas and expertise, and builds on the wonderful work of local people and community organisations.
Over 16,000 people make their home in the Huon Valley, living in a collection of dynamic communities. Respecting the diversity of the Huon Valley community and ensuring fair and equitable access to services is key to achieving success.
The Strategy has identified 3 key priority areas for action.
PRIORITY – CONNECTING PEOPLE
Our social connections contribute enormously to our health and wellbeing. Evidence shows that strong relationships and being actively involved in community keep us healthy. Some groups need support to make the connections that build wellness for life. Priority 1 facilitates connections that build optimism, inclusion, and the best start to life.
PRIORITY – CONNECTING TO PLACE
People living in the Huon Valley have a strong sense of place. It’s rural qualities, natural beauty and diverse communities bring opportunities but can also test our ability to be healthy and well. Priority 2 enables connections to get around, live comfortably, eat well, and enjoy the outdoors.
PRIORITY – CONNECTING KNOWLEDGE AND KNOW-HOW
Local knowledge and practical know-how is an enormous resource for building a Healthy Huon. Connecting this knowledge and know-how strategically through signature projects, and locally, will achieve increased health and wellness. Priority 3 connects expertise so we avoid harm, learn constantly, and deliver more collectively than we would on our own.
Huon Valley Council’s Health and Wellbeing Officer
T: 03 6264 0300
Street Address: 40 Main Street, Huonville
Postal Address: PO Box 210, Huonville TAS 7109
Over about 15 weeks in 2018, Fae Robinson Futures undertook a wide range of consultations and conversations with people living and/or working in the Huon Valley (the Valley) to inform the development of a Health and Wellbeing Strategy for the consideration of the Huon Valley Council and the community.
This extensive research was undertaken to better understand the community and organisational heartbeat of the Valley, and to ensure the resulting Strategy considered and included the best thinking about community-driven, wellness and prevention-based approaches to health and wellbeing.
The Huon Valley Health and Wellbeing Committee
- Creates a consultative link between the community, service providers and key stakeholders and the Huon Valley Council by providing a mechanism for feedback and promoting communication
- Collaboratively identifies and implements measures to enhance the health and wellbeing of the Huon Valley community, supporting the Huon Valley Health and Wellbeing Strategy,
- Actions, where appropriate, Health and Wellbeing issues of importance and priority to the community, and
- Identifies funding opportunities for relevant health and wellbeing projects and to contribute to submissions.
The Committee works with the Huon Valley Council, stakeholders and the wider community to:
- Support the implementation of the Huon Valley Health and Wellbeing Strategy,
- Assist in identifying emerging health and wellbeing priorities and trends for the Huon Valley community,
- Support Council with advocacy on and promotion of health and wellbeing matters,
- Act as a consultative and communicative link between the community and the Huon Valley Council, and
- Strengthen partnerships across member organisations and other relevant networks and organisations.
Councillor Juarne Bird (Chair)
Dr Jo Topp
View the Health and Wellbeing Committee Terms of Reference.
The Huon Valley Service Provider Network supports greater coordination, communication and connections across government and community service providers to support the health and wellbeing of the Huon Valley community.
Visit our Huon Valley Service Providers Network Page for more information.
The Right Place supports people in the Huon Valley to find the services they need, when they need them.
Visit our The Right Place Page for more information
Our local directory can help you to find and support local Huon Valley Health and Wellbeing businesses, services and groups.
Visit the Local Directory website to check it out.