Emergency Evacuations

In certain circumstances, such as bushfire, you may need to evacuate from your home.

When should I evacuate?

You can evacuate at any stage if you have concerns regarding your personal wellbeing and safety.

Should Emergency Services have concerns regarding your wellbeing and safety it may be recommended that you evacuate.

If you choose not to accept or act on these recommendations, and the situation becomes more critical, the Police have the authority to instruct you to evacuate.

How will I be notified if I need to evacuate?

If an evacuation is necessary, affected members of the community may be notified by one or more of the following methods:

  • State Government alerts
  • Media (including social media)
  • Visit from the Police, Fire Service or SES

Where do I go if evacuated?

If you do evacuate, we recommend that you organise to stay with family or friends.

If you are unable to arrange alternative accommodation (with relatives, friends, hotels, motels, caravan parks etc.), temporary short-term accommodation may be available at a designated evacuation centre.

The Huon Valley Emergency Management Plan identifies the Huon Valley PCYC Building located in the Huonville Recreation Ground for use as an evacuation centre, if necessary.  The Plan also identifies a number of other community buildings located throughout the Valley that may also be used as temporary shelter, if necessary.

Once the evacuation centre has been activated, details will be publicly advised via various means including ABC Radio and social media.

If you evacuate to a relative’s or friend’s house, consider registering online through the Register Find Reunite program at https://www.redcross.org.au/get-help/emergencies to help others find you. This website is only activated during emergencies.

Pets may be accommodated at the Huonville Recreation Ground.  Horses and livestock may be accommodated at the Ranelagh Recreation Ground.  Please note that conditions apply.  Contact Council for further information regarding arrangements for animals.

What should I take when evacuating?

When evacuating you should ensure that you take any essential medications with you. It is recommended that you take an emergency kit which should include:

  • Water (at least 5 litres per person)
  • Food
  • Medications and toiletries
  • Essential papers and cash
  • A battery operated radio and torch
  • A supply of spare batteries
  • Spare clothing
  • Mobile phone and charger
  • Bed linen, towels and something to sleep on.

When should I return home?

You should not return home until you have been told it is safe to do so.