Noise nuisance information

If you have a problem with noise and believe it to be unreasonable, first attempt to resolve the issue with the person causing the noise. Often this can be the quickest and easiest way of resolving problems. This works well as most of the time people are not making the noise on purpose, and may not even realise they are disrupting you. If this fails to work then contact the relevant authority, dependant on the source of the noise and the time it is emitted.

Noise Complaints

For noise coming from the following, contact the Huon Valley Council

  • Workshops
  • Small factories
  • Earthmoving equipment
  • Building construction
  • Shop ventilation and refrigeration
  • Air conditioners and heat pumps
  • Backyard workshops
  • Lawn mowers and other garden equipment
  • Chainsaws
  • Vehicle security or intruder alarms
  • Power tools etc.
  • Animal noise (i.e. barking dogs)
  • Noise relating to agriculture and general primary industry
  • Off-road vehicles used for recreation/sport purposes (i.e. trail bikes, quad bikes)

For noise coming from the following contact the EPA Division of the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment on 1300 368 550.

  • Quarries
  • Large factories
  • Noise generated from agricultural or general primary industry activities

For noise complaints outside of office hours please contact your Tasmania Police, who will be able to deal with any complaints.  Emergency calls: 000; non-emergency calls: 131 444.