Stock control information


Arrive at your destination with clean vehicles and clean, healthy stock. Review the activities you have in place to protect your farm from weeds, pests and diseases. Biosecurity activities protect farm productivity, in turn protecting farm profitability and the industry as a whole. Consider the risks to your property and plan to reduce them through biosecurity measures. For more information: NRM South’s Farm Biosecurity Guide

Be prepared – put these phone numbers in your phone now:
Emergency Animal Disease Watch Hotline 1800 675 888
Exotic Plant Pest Hotline 1800 084 881.

What is the definition of livestock?

The term livestock  includes, but is not limited to, horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats and deer.

Do I need a permit to move my stock?

A permit is not required unless you are leading livestock on a national highway. Permits are issued and enforced by Tasmania Police.

Are there any special requirements when I am moving stock?

The Tasmanian Road Rules 2009 include provisions that must be followed when leading livestock across public roads.

When can I move my stock?

The moving of livestock can only be undertaken during daylight hours (the period extending from 30 minutes after sunrise to 30 minutes before sunset).

Stock cannot be led on a road at night except in the case of an emergency, or to lead the stock to or from a dairy. A person leading livestock at night must provide warning to other road users by means of a flashing or rotating amber light.

Am I responsible for any mess my stock make on the roads?

The Roads and Jetties Act 1935 prohibits the deposit of “timber, stone, hay, straw, dung, lime, soil, ashes, or other like matter or thing, or any rubbish upon any road.”

How do I choose a stock-crossing site?


The Local Government Act 1993 has no criteria for the selection of a stock-crossing site. People are encouraged to be guided by common-sense regarding topography and visibility.

People should select a crossing site that provides adequate visibility to approaching motorists where possible. This should be 200 metres before the crossing site, otherwise the person should give approaching drivers effective and sufficient warning.

Does my regular crossing site require council permission?

The Local Government Act 1993 has no provisions for the selection of a stock crossing site.

Individual councils may require consultation with their animal control officer or their engineering services personnel concerning a stock crossing site which is to be used on a regular basis.

How do I warn other road users?

Approaching drivers should be able to see the livestock for at least 200 metres before reaching the animals. If topography, vegetation or structures make this impossible, you must give other road users sufficient warning that they are approaching stock – a yellow sign with the words ‘stock ahead’ or a flashing or rotating amber light.

Can my stock graze along the roadside?

The grazing or straying of an animal in a public reserve, or any area under Council control is not allowed to occur without authorisation. Permits can be obtained from the Council. Failure to follow this requirement may result in a fine.

Can my animals be impounded by the council?

The Council may impound any animal found straying or at large on any highway or on any land owned by, or under the control of, the Council.

What if stock strays onto my property?

Contact Tasmania Police to report the stray animal or animals.

See Law of Animals Act 1962 for your rights as a property owner to distrain an animal straying on your land.

An owner who distrains a trespassing animal and detains it on their own land is bound to comply with the provisions of the Animal Welfare Act 1993 in respect of the animal.

While maintaining your own safety and the safely of the animal, you could try to locate their owner by contacting nearby neighbours or sharing an image and description of the animal on a Lost and Found Animals or Local Community social media page.

Please remember this is general advice only, please contact Huon Valley Council’s Compliance Officers or the Tasmania Police with any specific questions about your responsibilities in this situation.


What are grazing leases?

Many of the grassy open eucalypt forest and woodland communities of Tasmania on both private and public land are subjected to grazing by domestic livestock. This ‘rough grazing’ or the grazing of ‘native pastures’ has a long history in Tasmania.

Leases or licences to use Crown land can be obtained from the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (if the use is compatible with the reasons why the Government is continuing to own the land. Examples of leased and licensed occupation of Crown land include grazing, marine structures and fish processing factories.

Sustainable Timber Tasmania manages informal agistment licences for farmers wishing to use State Forest lands for grazing purposes.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance cover provided to councils does not extend to liability incurred by farmers who graze their stock on roadsides.