Huon Valley News


Operational Restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)

Protection measures against the spread of COVID-19 have recently been enacted which place restrictions on the way some businesses operate.

Restaurants, cafes and other “sit in” eateries are now only allowed to offer food as take away and/or home delivery.

There is provision under the Public Health Act 1997 to follow up with penalties for not complying with the requirement to restrict food services to take away and/or home delivery only. The restrictions will be reviewed in one month to assess whether they need to be continued.

The restrictions also apply to outdoor spaces, which means take away food cannot be eaten by customers in outdoor areas associated with a food businesses.

How will my business be affected?

Read about Venue Closures to find out about the new restrictions and how they may affect you and your business. 


If your business is offering take away or delivered food, use signage to let the public know that these services are available. 

Delivering food

  • If food is to be transported for delivery it must be protected from contamination and kept under appropriate temperature control
  • Always use food grade containers, including tubs, eskis or hot boxes to protect the food from contamination
  • Keep hot food hot and cold food cold by using insulated bags or eskis
  • Temperature control is not necessary if the food is delivered to the customer within 30 minutes of leaving the premises

Help stop the spread

  • Review your cleaning and sanitising practices to ensure surfaces such as door handles, handles to refrigerators, tap handles and other ‘high touch’ areas are subject to frequent and effective cleaning
  • Display signage reminding staff and customers of the importance of social distancing and hand washing. 

If you have any general questions about the temporary closures or COVID-19 protection measures, call the National Coronavirus Information Line on 1800 020 080.

If you have a food safety or regulation query, or a query that is specific to how your business operates in the Huon Valley, please call Huon Valley Council on 6264 0300 and ask to speak to an Environmental Health Officer.