Over the last 2 years extensive research, analysis, and engagement into the future role, functions, and design of Tasmania’s system of local government has been conducted.
The Local Government Board handed the Minister for Local Government, Hon. Nic Street MP, the Final Report of the Future of Local Government Review on 17 November 2023.
In the Report, the Board makes 37 recommendations on how the current system needs to change so that councils can meet the challenges and opportunities communities will face in the next 20-30 years.
The Minister is now carrying out a final round of consultation with councils and the community. Your feedback will help the Tasmanian Government decide whether to make the changes recommended by this independent Board.
Some of the key recommendations in the Report include:
- Redefining the role of local government to focus on community wellbeing;
- Exploring voluntary council amalgamation in five areas initially:
- West Coast, Waratah-Wynyard and Circular Head Councils;
- Kentish and Latrobe Councils;
- Break O’Day, Glamorgan-Spring Bay and Sorell Councils;
- City of Hobart and Glenorchy City Councils;
- Kingborough and Huon Valley Councils.
- Requiring all councils to migrate to a common IT system over time, and share their key professional staff, such as environmental health officers;
- Providing an ongoing professional development program for all councillors; and
- Ensuring council rate notices provide more useful information that improves public transparency, accountability, and confidence in council financial management decisions.
Mayor Sally Doyle:
“Huon Valley Council welcomes the release of the Future of Local Government Review – Final Report. Council will consider the report and provide feedback for the 29th February 2024 submission deadline. The Huon Valley Council maintains its stated position to retain the special character of the Huon Valley by remaining an independent municipal area within our existing boundaries.”
Read the Summary Report here: FoLGR_Final_Report_Community_Summary_v.1.0.pdf (amazonaws.com)
Read the Final Report here: The_Future_of_Local_Government_Review_-_Final_Report.pdf (amazonaws.com)