Please visit our COVID-19 Information page for an update on waste management in the Huon Valley during the COVID-19 pandemic (see Council Sites and Service Delivery).
The Council provides a comprehensive waste and recycling service for residents and visitors alike.
From hard waste to frequent recycling we aim to service needs efficiently and in an environmentally conscious manner.
The Council operates four waste transfer stations – at Southbridge (Huonville), Cygnet, Geeveston and Dover. Recycling facilities are also provided at the waste transfer stations. There is also a Re-Use Shop at the Southbridge Waste Transfer Station.
Waste and recycling that is brought to the waste transfer stations is taken out of the Huon Valley for recycling or disposal.
Huon Valley Council has partnered with a number of national recycling initiatives, including drumMUSTER, ChemClear and MobileMuster. Non-recyclable items are sent to Southern Waste Solutions for disposal to landfill.
The Council also runs a kerbside collection service for household waste and recycling.
|WASTE MANAGEMENT FEES||2020/21 Fee||GST Included #|
|Wheelie Bin Administration Fee||$28.00|
|Wheelie Bin Hitch||$28.00||#|
|WASTE TRANSFER STATION FEES|
|Single Garbage Bag (75 litres or less per bag)||$5.00||#|
|2 x Garbage Bags (75 litre or less)||$9.00||#|
|3 x Garbage Bags (75 litre or less)||$11.00||#|
|Load (<1M3 load)||$16.50||#|
|Loads greater than 1M3 per M3 rate||$14.50/M3||#|
|Local Contractors||Negotiated Fee||#|
|Clean fill Not accepted||NIL|
|Clean Concrete - Southbridge Only (per cubic metre)||$13.00||#|
|Scrap metal - minimum charge (less than 1 cubic metre)||$4.50||#|
|Scrap metal (per cubic metre)||$9.00||#|
|Whole Car bodies - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$63.00||#|
|Half car bodies - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$34.00||#|
|Car & Motorcycle tyres (per tyre) - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$7.00||#|
|Light Truck tyres (per tyre) - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$13.00||#|
|Truck tyres (per tyre) - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$27.00||#|
|Removal of rim surcharge - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$7.50||#|
|Fridge without de-gassing certificate - Huonville only (not accepted at Dover, Geeveston, Cygnet)||$44.00|
|Fridge with de-gassing certificate||$9.00|
|No hazardous or inert waste or clean fill are accepted at any Waste Transfer Station|
|Other items are at the discretion of the site operator.|
|Less than 1 cubic metre||$11.50/M3||#|
|Greater than 1M3 per M3 rate||$11.50/M3||#|
|Mulch sales - approx. 1 cubic metre||$26.00||#|
|Builders Timber Waste - Including all Timber Waste|
|Less than 1 cubic metre||$14.50/M3||#|
|Greater than 1M3 per M3 rate||$14.50/M3||#|
Items that can be recycled at the Council’s four waste transfer stations are:
- milk and juice cartons (wash and flatten then stack inside each other to make a brick)
- glass bottles and jars (wash and remove all caps and lids)
- paper and cardboard, including newspapers, magazines, catalogues and egg cartons
- aluminium and steel cans, including food and drink cans, pie trays, clean foil and aerosol cans (please rinse food cans)
- PET, HDPE and PVC plastic, this generally includes juice, milk and cream plastic bottles identified by the recycle codes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 which are usually printed on the base of the bottle or container (please rinse, squash and remove all lids).
Items that cannot be accepted for recycling include:
- plastic bags
- window glass
- light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- house cleaning product bottles
- meat trays
Please ensure that you separate your recycling into the following three categories:
- All other recyclable material.
By doing so you will save time when you arrive at the Waste Transfer Station as we now collect recycling in these three separate categories in order to reduce cost and ensure maximum environmental benefit.”
Generally, acceptable waste includes:
- normal domestic and commercial waste
- recyclable materials (separated and left at collection points at the waste transfer station for recycling)
- uncontaminated green waste
- tyres (a levy is paid on each tyre)
- refrigerators and other white goods (only accepted at Southbridge Waste Transfer Station*)
- gas bottles
- paint tins
- up to 10 Ionisation alarms can be disposed of in general waste, this can be via kerbside collection or at our waste transfer stations.
*We will accept white goods at our Dover, Cygnet and Geeveston Waste Transfer Stations only if you are able to provide evidence that refrigerant gasses have been safely reclaimed by a licensed technician.
Non-acceptable waste includes:
- controlled waste (hazardous waste that has specific controls on the method of disposal and may endanger public health or the environment)
- liquid waste, including septic sludge
- dead animals and biological refuse
- builders’ rubble and clean fill
- chemical containers
- household or farm chemicals
Asbestos Awareness provides information about asbestos and asbestos disposal.
Agricultural and veterinary chemicals can be recycled through the ChemClear program.
The Southbridge Waste Transfer Station accepts empty, cleaned, non-returnable agricultural and veterinary chemical containers as part of the drumMUSTER recycling program. Collections are held every Tuesday and Thursday between 10am and 4pm. Bookings are essential for large loads.
Contact the waste management officers at the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment for advice about disposal of controlled waste or if you are unsure if your waste is considered controlled waste or not.