The Council provides a comprehensive waste and recycling service for residents and visitors alike.
From hard waste to frequent recycling we aim to service needs efficiently and in an environmentally conscious manner.
The Council operates four waste transfer stations – at Southbridge (Huonville), Cygnet, Geeveston and Dover. Recycling facilities are also provided at the waste transfer stations. There is also a Re-Use Shop at the Southbridge Waste Transfer Station.
Waste and recycling that is brought to the waste transfer stations is taken out of the Huon Valley for recycling or disposal.
The Council also runs a kerbside collection service for household waste and recycling.
|WASTE MANAGEMENT||2018-19 Fee||Includes GST #|
|Wheelie Bin Administration Fee||$26.00|
|Wheelie Bin Hitch||$26.00||#|
|WASTE TRANSFER STATION FEES|
|Garbage Bag 75L or Less||$5.00||#|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer: Car boot load (3 garbage bags)||$10.00||#|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer: <1cubic metre load||$14.00||#|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer: 1-2 cubic metre load||$24.00||#|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer: 2-3cubic metre load||$36.00||#|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer: >3 cubic metre load||$12.00 per cubic metre||#|
|Recyclables Only - Not applicable to tyres||NO CHARGE|
|Other items are at the discretion of the tip operator.|
|Less than 1 cubic metre||$9.00||#|
|1-3 cubic metre||$15.00||#|
|Trailer greater than 3 cubic metres||$26.00||#|
|Truck 4.5 tonne to 12 tonne||$38.00||#|
|Truck greater than 12 tonne||$76.00||#|
|Mulch sales - approx 1 cubic metre||$25.00||#|
|Builders' Timber Waste - including all Timber Waste|
|Less than 1 cubic metre||$12.00||#|
|1-3 cubic metres||$21.00||#|
|Trailer greater than 3 cubic metres||$27.00||#|
|Truck 4.5 tonne to 12 tonne||$50.00||#|
|Trucks GVM 4.5t - 12t||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Trucks GVM greater than 12t single axle||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Trucks GVM greater than 12t dual axle||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Dual axle trailers (behind trucks)||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin 0 - 4 cubic metres||$58.00||#|
|Skip/Bin 4 - 8 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin 8 - 12 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin 12 - 15 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin 15 - 20 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin 20 - 25 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin 25 - 30 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Skip/Bin greater than 30 cubic metres||$12 per cubic metre||#|
|Scrap metal - minimum charge (less than 1 cubic metre)||$4.00||#|
|Scrap metal (per cubic metre)||$8.00||#|
|Whole Car bodies - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$59.00||#|
|Half car bodies - Huonville, Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||$32.00||#|
|Clean fill Not accepted||NIL|
|Clean Concrete M3 - Southbridge Only (per cubic metre)||$12.00||#|
|Car & Motorcycle tyres (per tyre)||$7.00||#|
|Light truck tyres||$12.00||#|
|Removal of rim surcharge||$7.00|
Items that can be recycled at the Council’s four waste transfer stations are:
- milk and juice cartons (wash and flatten then stack inside each other to make a brick)
- glass bottles and jars (wash and remove all caps and lids)
- paper and cardboard, including newspapers, magazines, catalogues and egg cartons
- aluminium and steel cans, including food and drink cans, pie trays, clean foil and aerosol cans (please rinse food cans)
- PET, HDPE and PVC plastic, this generally includes juice, milk and cream plastic bottles identified by the recycle codes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 which are usually printed on the base of the bottle or container (please rinse, squash and remove all lids).
Items that cannot be accepted for recycling include:
- plastic bags
- window glass
- light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- house cleaning product bottles
- meat trays
Please ensure that you separate your recycling into the following three categories:
- All other recyclable material.
By doing so you will save time when you arrive at the Waste Transfer Station as we now collect recycling in these three separate categories in order to reduce cost and ensure maximum environmental benefit.”
Generally, acceptable waste includes:
- normal domestic and commercial waste
- recyclable materials (separated and left at collection points at the waste transfer station for recycling)
- uncontaminated green waste
- tyres (a levy is paid on each tyre)
- refrigerators and other white goods
- gas bottles
- paint tins
- up to 10 Ionisation alarms can be disposed of in general waste, this can be via kerbside collection or at our waste transfer stations.
Non-acceptable waste includes:
- controlled waste (hazardous waste that has specific controls on the method of disposal and may endanger public health or the environment)
- liquid waste, including septic sludge
- dead animals and biological refuse
- builders’ rubble and clean fill
- chemical containers
- household or farm chemicals
Asbestos Awareness provides information about asbestos and asbestos disposal.
Agricultural and veterinary chemicals can be recycled through the ChemClear program.
The Southbridge Waste Transfer Station accepts empty, cleaned, non-returnable agricultural and veterinary chemical containers as part of the drumMUSTER recycling program. Collections are held every Tuesday and Thursday between 10am and 4pm. Bookings are essential for large loads.
Contact the waste management officers at the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment for advice about disposal of controlled waste or if you are unsure if your waste is considered controlled waste or not.