The Huon Valley Council has adopted a Code of Conduct relating to the conduct of Councillors in accordance with the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act).
The Code of Conduct is consistent with the Model Code of Conduct approved by the Minister for Local Government. The Minister can consent to variations from the Model Code as may be requested from a Council, however, the Council has not requested any variations at this time. The Code is also consistent with the Act and addresses prescribed matters. Council is to review its Code of Conduct within three months after each ordinary election.
The Code of Conduct provides for the following matters:
- Conflict of Interest
- Use of Office
- Use of Council resources
- Use of Information
- Gifts and Benefits
- Behaviour and relationships with the community, other Councillors and Council employees
- Representation as a Councillor, of the Council into the community
- Any other prescribed matters
A person may make a Code of Conduct complaint against one Councillor in relation to an allegation of a contravention by the Councillor of the Code of Conduct.
A person may make a complaint against more than one Councillor if the complaint relates to the same behaviour and the same conduct contravention.
Code of Conduct complaints are to be lodged with the General Manager, Huon Valley Council, PO Box 210, Huonville, 7109 or at the Council’s Customer Service Centre and must be:
- In writing
- State the name and address of the person making the complaint (Complainant)
- State the name of each Councillor against whom the complaint is made
- State the provisions of the relevant Code of Conduct that the Councillor has allegedly contravened
- Contain details of the behaviour of each Councillor that constitutes the alleged contravention
- Be lodged with the General Manager within six months after the Councillor or Councillors against whom the complaint is made allegedly committed the contravention of the Code of Conduct; and
- Be accompanied by the Code of Conduct complaint lodgement fee (50 fee units – for 2016/17 is $ 76.50)
Once satisfied that the Code of Conduct complaint meets prescribed requirements, the General Manager forwards the complaint to the Code of Conduct Panel.
The Code of Conduct Panel is an independent body appointed by the Minister for Local Government and is responsible for the investigation and determination of Code of Conduct complaints as provided by the Act. Other than to receive and refer a complaint the Council has no other involvement in the process.
Particulars in relation to the Code of Conduct can be found in the Local Government Act 1993 and the Local Government (Model Code of Conduct) Order 2016.
The following documents are included for your reference: