The Huonville Main Street Car Park redevelopment is required due to the increasing demand in the Huonville shopping precinct and the need to provide appropriate off street parking for varying user types including mini buses, cars, caravans and recreational vehicles.
In designing the facility the following elements were considered:
- Current Australia Standards.
- The need for additional car spaces including accessible parking, loading zones, dedicated long wheelbase vehicle parking, bicycle parking, motorcycle parking and Electric Vehicle charging points.
- Improved pedestrian safety with dedicated footpaths and lighting.
- Landscaping and bio-retention gardens.
- Consultation with key stakeholders.
- Funding available under the State Government Capital Works Accelerated Loan Project and Council’s Asset Renewal Program.
The Huonville Car Park redevelopment will deliver an increase to the total parking capacity from 89 to 136 spaces which will enable improved access for long wheelbase vehicles, bicycle and motorcycle parking and Electric Vehicle facilities.
The provision of footpaths and lighting will provide safer pedestrian access to the carpark.
A copy of the plans can be found here.
Works will be commencing on the Main Street Car Park (23-25 Main Street) on the 7th January 2019. Work will begin at the rear of the car park. Access to the rear carpark will be via the southern access during construction. Signage will be in place to direct traffic. A copy of the plan identifying the area affected is located here.