Council has identified a need to develop a Climate Change Strategy and on 31 July 2019 endorsed a project plan for delivery of the project during the 2019/20 financial year.
The scope of the project includes two main areas:
- Sphere of control: Council operations
- Sphere of influence: Advocacy and education (non-Council operations)
The objectives of the project are:
- Develop a Climate Change Strategy for the Huon Valley Council
- Conduct a values-driven consultation process to identify the underlying issues that matter to the community in relation to climate change, and how best to address them
- Undertake consultation with the community on climate change and the draft strategy
- Maximise efficiency and strategy quality by integrating with the Regional Climate Change Initiative (RCCI) Strategy and Action Plan Template project
- Consider available information, expert/academic advice and previous studies to identify the most appropriate actions
Huon Valley Council has engaged a sustainability consultant to complete a Carbon Audit of the organization, to assist in identifying opportunities to implement energy efficiency upgrades and map the current contribution the organization makes to greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere.
Huon Valley Council has been conducting some targeted community consultation as part of the development of the climate change strategy, and is in the final stages of forming the consultative group.
The Regional Climate Change Strategy collaboration between the Regional Climate Change Initiative (committee of the Southern Tasmanian Councils Authority consisting of officers from the 12 Southern Councils) and the University of Tasmania was officially launched 25 November 2019. As the small local government area pilot for the project, Huon Valley Council will have the opportunity to utilise the resources and expertise from the University of Tasmania alongside the development of our climate change strategy.