The Council provides a comprehensive waste and recycling service for residents and visitors alike.
From hard waste to frequent recycling we aim to service needs efficiently and in an environmentally conscious manner.
The Council operates four waste transfer stations – at Southbridge (Huonville), Cygnet, Geeveston and Dover. Recycling facilities are also provided at the waste transfer stations. There is also a Re-Use Shop at the Southbridge Waste Transfer Station.
Waste and recycling that is brought to the waste transfer stations is taken out of the Huon Valley for recycling or disposal.
The Council also runs a kerbside collection service for household waste and recycling.
|# GST |
|Recyclables only||no charge||no charge|
|Truck greater than 12 tonne||#||$68.00||$70.00|
|Garbage bag (75 litres or less)||#||$3.50||$3.50|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer car boot load (three garbage bags)||#||$7.50||$8.00
|Light vehicles with or without trailer <1 cubic metre load||#||$12.50||$13.00|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer 1-2 cubic metre load||#||$18.00||$19.00|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer 2-3 cubic metre load||#||$25.00||$26.00|
|Light vehicles with or without trailer >3 cubic metre load||#||$30.00||$31.00|
|Less than 1 cubic metre||#||$7.50||$8.00|
|1-3 cubic metres||#||$14.00||$14.00|
|Trailer greater than 3 cubic metres||#||$22.00||$23.00|
|Truck 4.5 tonne-12 tonne||#||$34.00||$35.00|
|Mulch sales (approx 1 cubic metre)||#||$22.00||$22.00|
|Builders’ timber waste (including all timber waste)|
|Less than 1 cubic metre||#||$10.50||$11.00|
|1-3 cubic metres||#||$17.00||$18.00|
|Trailer greater than 3 cubic metres||#||$23.00||$24.00|
|Truck 4.5 tonne-12 tonne||#||$46.00||$47.00|
|Trucks GVM 4.5 tonne-12 tonne||#||$57.00||$59.00|
|Trucks GVM greater than 12 tonne, single axle||#||$78.00||$80.00|
|Trucks GVM greater than 12 tonne, dual axle||#||$130.00||$134.00|
|Dual axle trailers (behind trucks)||#||$130.00||$134.00|
|Skip/bin 0-4 cubic metres||#||$50.00||$52.00|
|Skip/bin 4-8 cubic metres||#||$73.00||$75.00|
|Skip/bin 8-12 cubic metres||#||$119.00||$123.00|
|Skip/bin 12-15 cubic metres||#||$150.00||$155.00|
|Skip/bin 15-20 cubic metres||#||$191.00|
|Skip/bin 20-25 cubic metres||#||$235.00||$242.00|
|Skip/bin 25-30 cubic metres||#||$290.00||$299.00|
|Skip/bin greater than 30 cubic metres||#||$375.00||$386.00|
|Compactor up to 7 cubic metres||#||$135.00||$139.00|
|Compactors 7-15 cubic metres||#||$275.00||$283.00|
|Compactor greater than 15 cubic metres||#||$440.00||$453.00|
|Whole car bodies – Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||#||$25.00||$25.00|
|Half car bodies – Cygnet & Geeveston (not accepted at Dover)||#||$15.00||$15.00|
|Car bodies (Southbridge)||no charge||no charge|
|Clean concrete M3 (Southbridge only)||#||$11.00||$11.00|
|Car & motorcyle tyres (recycling discount does not apply)||#||$7.50||$8.00|
|Car tyres on rims (recycling discount does not apply)||#||$9.00||$9.00|
|Light truck tyres (recyling discount does not apply)||#||$12.50||$13.00|
|Truck tyres (recycling discount does not apply)||#||$16.50||$17.00|
|No hazardous or inert waste or clean fill is accepted at any waste transfer stations.|
|Other items are at the discretion of the site operator.|
Items that can be recycled at the Council’s four waste transfer stations are:
- milk and juice cartons (wash and flatten then stack inside each other to make a brick)
- glass bottles and jars (wash and remove all caps and lids)
- paper and cardboard, including newspapers, magazines, catalogues and egg cartons
- aluminium and steel cans, including food and drink cans, pie trays, clean foil and aerosol cans (please rinse food cans)
- PET, HDPE and PVC plastic, this generally includes juice, milk and cream plastic bottles identified by the recycle codes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 which are usually printed on the base of the bottle or container (please rinse, squash and remove all lids).
Items that cannot be accepted for recycling include:
- plastic bags
- window glass
- light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- house cleaning product bottles
- meat trays
Generally, acceptable waste includes:
- normal domestic and commercial waste
- recyclable materials (separated and left at collection points at the waste transfer station for recycling)
- uncontaminated green waste (not available at Dover)
- tyres (a levy is paid on each tyre)
- refrigerators and other white goods
- gas bottles
- paint tins
Non-acceptable waste includes:
- controlled waste (hazardous waste that has specific controls on the method of disposal and may endanger public health or the environment)
- liquid waste, including septic sludge
- dead animals and biological refuse
- builders’ rubble and clean fill
- chemical containers
- household or farm chemicals
Asbestos Awareness provides information about asbestos and asbestos disposal.
Agricultural and veterinary chemicals can be recycled through the ChemClear program.
The Southbridge Waste Transfer Station accepts empty, cleaned, non-returnable agricultural and veterinary chemical containers as part of the drumMUSTER recycling program. Collections are held every Tuesday and Thursday between 10am and 4pm. Bookings are essential for large loads.
Contact the waste management officers at the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment for advice about disposal of controlled waste or if you are unsure if your waste is considered controlled waste or not.