The role of Huon Valley Council’s Economic Development Unit is to foster economic development activity in the Huon Valley. The Economic Development Unit can assist developers by providing advice in relation to proposed development, facilitating pre-lodgement meetings and providing a point of contact for the duration of the planning and building application process. Through this approach we aim to facilitate a more seamless transition through the process of obtaining planning and building permits from Council.

  • A planning permit is generally required prior to undertaking any of the following:
  • Building works/modification
  • Change of use of a building (e.g. from a residence to a B&B)
  • Land clearing
  • Excavation and/or placement of fill
  • Erecting signage

Depending on the nature of your proposed development, further approvals may be required once a planning permit is granted.

Current Planning Scheme


How to prepare a planning application

Step One: Determine if a planning permit is required

  1. Before preparing a planning application for Council’s consideration you will first need to find out whether planning approval is required. Please contact Council’s Economic Development Unit in the first instance to discuss your proposal. You will be referred to the relevant planning scheme provisions that the Council will use to assess the planning application. This may assist in tailoring your development to comply with planning scheme requirements such as site layout, building heights, setbacks, car parking and access.
  2. Additional land use hazards which may require attention (such as bushfire hazard, land instability and flooding) may also be flagged at this point for further investigation. Council’s Economic Development Officers can guide you through the process and provide a point of contact for future reference. 3. If planning approval is required you will then need to determine what information should accompany the application such as plans and supporting reports from qualified professionals.

Step Two: Compile information from Council and State agencies

  1. Contact State agencies that may need to know about your proposal. Talking to them now and learning about their requirements and concerns regarding your development may save time later through a formal referral process. Some of the State agencies that you may need to consult with include:
    • Tas Water for water and sewer connections, upgrades, setbacks from pipes. Call Tas Water on 13 69 92 or visit for further information.
    • DIER (State Road Authority) DIER are responsible for regulating new vehicle access, alterations to an existing access or intensification of an existing access on a State controlled road or highway. Call the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER) on 1300 135 513 or visit for further information.
    • Heritage Tasmania If your property is heritage listed in the Planning Scheme or on the Tasmanian Heritage Register, in most instances you will be required to obtain planning approval for any modification to the listed property. Call the Tasmanian Heritage Council on (03) 6336 5274 or visit for further information.
    • Aboriginal Heritage Tasmania Council is required to refer applications to Aboriginal Heritage Tasmania if there is believed to be potential for disturbance to sites of Aboriginal significance. A search of the Tasmanian Aboriginal Index Site can be undertaken by completing the form available at au/forms-and-documents. Aboriginal Heritage Tasmania will then advise whether your proposal is likely to interfere with Aboriginal heritage and if an Aboriginal Heritage Survey is required. Call Aboriginal Heritage Tasmania on (03) 6165 3152 or visit for further information
  2. Talk to your neighbours about your plans and learn of any concerns they may have, particularly if your development is classified as ‘discretionary’. Doing so now may save time later if changes can be made to the plans that address their concerns. They may also appreciate the opportunity to discuss your development before any formal notification process commences.

Step Three: Meet with Council Officers to discuss your proposal

  1. Council’s Economic Development Officers will facilitate a meeting with all relevant Council Officers to discuss your proposal, to identify any potential issues that you have not have already addressed and provide advice regarding Council requirements and timelines prior to you preparing your planning application. A number of aspects are considered during the planning assessment. Receiving the right advice at the beginning of the process will help develop your ideas so you can meet the Planning Scheme’s requirements and objectives. Please contact Council’s Economic Development Unit to schedule the meeting.

Step Four: Draft a planning application

  1. At a minimum, each planning application must include:
    • A completed planning application form
    • Written explanation of the proposal including justification for the particular design
    • Details of the nature of the business, number of staff, operating hours, equipment used and expected noise levels, expected waste and proposed disposal, location and design of signage and expected vehicle delivery requirements
    • Copy of the Certificate of Title
    • Site plan (1:100 or 1:200) showing all existing and proposed buildings, dimensioned setbacks, cut and fill, vegetation to be retained or removed, car parking and vehicular access including sight distance
    • Floor plans and building elevation
    • Concept servicing plan
    • Payment of prescribed fees
  2. If you do not own the land you intend to develop you may still make a planning application but must first notify the owner of your intention to do so. If your proposal is located on land owned or administered by the Crown or Council then their consent is first required.
  3. Other considerations which may be taken into account when assessing your application include:
    • If the site is not connected to main sewer, you may need to provide a Site and Soil Evaluation and System Design prepared by a suitably qualified person to show that the wastewater can be disposed of onsite.
    • Council may also require reports from suitably qualified persons to assess risks from land hazards such as bushfire, or impacts of the proposal, such as a Traffic Impact Assessment. (The planning application form includes a checklist of reports that may be required).
    • If you intend to construct other buildings on your land in the future you may wish to include those in your planning application to avoid the cost and time of making another application in future. Provided that a large component of the total approval is substantially commenced within two years of approval, you will not require a new approval to continue with the remainder at any time.
    • It is an offence to undertake use or development (including land clearing and site excavation) without a planning permit. Council’s Compliance Unit Officers investigate unlawful use and development and failure to comply can result in financial penalties.

Step Five: Finalise and submit your application

  1. If a planning application is required, complete the Planning Application form, providing all the required information and include all supporting documentation such as plans and reports.
  2. You must lodge the planning application and pay the application fee at Council’s Customer Service Centre and receive a receipt for the fee paid.

Printable PDF version of this page