Huon Valley Council, Tasmania
Huon Valley Council, Tasmania



The Huon Valley Council 2010 - 2015 Strategic Plan provides the following goal for land use planning:

          Goal: To achieve sustainable land use and development and maintain biodiversity through effective implementation of the Planning Scheme

The Council's Planning Unit is responsible for a range of statutory and strategic land use and development functions, including the assessment of applications for use, development and subdivision against the provisions of Council's three planning schemes, the assessment of planning scheme amendments, Strata Schemes and various other applications.

The Council's Planning Unit is also developing a new planning scheme.

If you intend to: undertake building works, to change the nature of the use of a building to another use (such as from as house to a bed & breakfast), undertake land clearing, excavate land or place fill, erect signage or make other modifications to a building or land you may require a planning permit before you can do so.  Each planning scheme may make such a proposal permitted as of right (exempt), permitted, discretionary or prohibited depending on the zone of your land and any specific provisions that may apply.

Planning approval and building approval are two separate processes. Often a particular use or development of land may require approvals under both processes. Separate applications are required.  A third application may be required for a Special Plumbing Permit for on-site wastewater disposal.

On 29 August 2011 Planning Directive No. 4 - Standards for Single Dwellings in residential zones took effect.  The planning directive provides six planning standards that will apply to any single dwelling on land zoned Closed Residential under the Huon Planning Scheme 1979, Closed Residential under the Port Cygnet Planning Scheme 1988 or Residential A under the Esperance Planning Scheme 1989.  Any application that complies with each acceptable solution will be exempt from the need to obtain a planning permit.

Further information on Planning Directive No. 4 - Standards for Single Dwellings in residential zones can be found on the Tasmanian Planning Commission website.

The following links provide further information.  Should you have any queries please contact Council's Customer Services Centre on (03) 6264 0300.